Thursday, January 27, 2011

Felt Valentines for Boys

I found these beautiful Valentine hair clips and will be making some of these for the little girls in my life.
I really wanted to do do something for the boys that would be similar. This is what I came up with:

Fun right? First I drew a pattern that was football shaped and one that was a circle.

I cut them out.

I used the shapes as a template and cut six football shapes out of brown felt, six circles from orange felt and six circles from white felt.

I found white embroidery floss for the football stitching, red for the baseball stitching and brown for the basketball lines. I really would have used black for the basketball but I didn't have any on hand and who wants to go to the store when there is a project that can be done?

I stitched lines on the baseball as shown.

I doubled back to fill in the holes. I make the stitches across as I went.


I used a double strand of red on the three of each of the colors. -- they may be boys but it is still a valentine... These will be the back side.

I matched a ball front with a heart back and stitched them together with embroidery floss that matched the color of the ball. Be sure to leave about a half inch gap unsewn on the bottom in the center for the pencil.

Do stitching on the footballs and the basketballs in the same manner and you get...



3 comments:

  1. Super Cute! The colors worked great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I can see a little girl being disappointed that she doesn't get a pencil with a cute top. The heart clips remind me of some that I made for you decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I wasn't going to give pencils with them... I guess I could have some hearts on hand that could be pencil toppers. They wouldn't be any more work than the clips.

    ReplyDelete