Sunday, May 23, 2010

French Fry Seasoning

This is supposed to be the recipe for the seasoning on Red Robin's steak fries. It was good but doesn't taste a whole lot like the real thing. To me, Red Robin's tastes more like a barbecue sauce seasoning. If you are not expecting Red Robin, you won't be let down. They are still good.

French Fry Seasoning
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon instant tomato soup mix
(Knorr tomato with basil works great)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Also, I couldn't find the instant tomato soup mix at the store so I made my own with this recipe:

Instant Tomato Soup Mix
4 tb non-fat dry milk
2 tb powdered dry tomatoes
1/8 ts basil
1/16 ts salt dash pepper

I dried my own tomatoes in my dehydrater and then ground to powder in my wheat grinder. Make sure your tomatoes are really dry. I think a few of the slices weren't quite there yet. Consequently, I spent quite some time unclogging the grinder.

I also found for this recipe for instant tomato soup mix at chef2chef a varation: "Add about 1/4 teaspoon of onion and/or garlic powder.
Reduce the amount of non-fat dry milk milk accordingly."
I am fairly sure that this will make a big difference. I'll have to try it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment